Friday 22 July 2011

Animal Xploration- Issue 1

Froggy Factoids 


Guess who I am! I swallow with my EYES. I breathe through my skin. How about flicking my tongue way way way out of my mouth? No problemo, I tell you! Its really easy now to guess who I am.


About me:
I am a frog! Tilly the Tree-frog to be exact. I have bright red eyes and I live in the Southern Mexico with my 10 brothers, 14 sisters, including me, plus my mom and dad. Actually, in a real frog's life, moms and dads leave their children in a pond for them to grow themselves. But lucky me, my mom and dad decided to take us 24 kids to live with them! The others, as mom laid about a hundred eggs, after becoming tadpoles were eaten by predators. :( I was one of the lucky few to be saved by my parents, and my friends all grew up by themselves!


I do some things that are really strange to you, they may also seem REAL freaky. Nope, not for me as these things are PERFECTLY normal ways of surviving! All around the world (well, except for Antarctica)are my 6,000 different cousin families, their sizes ranging from being smaller than a lima bean (Brown Mantella Frog)while others being as humongous as footballs(Pac man frog)!
You should well know this: Frogs' bodies are way different from yours. Take my legs. They are packed with muscles that make frogs great and amazing jumpers! One of the farthest jumping frogs would be another of my cousins, the Australian Rocket Frog. It can leap approximately... FIFTY times its own body length! Therefore you, being a human, would be able to jump most of the way across a football field in just ONE single bound! (OH MY.)


We, frogs, are also amazing in many other ways. I'm not boasting, really, but we are incredible hunters. Our tongues are attached at the FRONT of our mouths, instead of the back of your mouth, the way humans' ones are. Our tongue is covered with this real sticky stuff. Its really easy (I'm not kidding) to get a meal, like humans eating Instant Noodles! (Just that we are faster) All we have to do is to flip our tongues out, nab the little pesky prey, and lastly gobble it all up- all this drama in LESS THAN A SECOND! Its easy peasy. As we swallow down our meal, our eyeballs sink DOWN into our heads, helping us push all the food that we have just gobbled up down our throats.


For breathing, we have lungs, but we can use an alternative way- taking in oxygen through our skin. Hence, when I am underwater diving and relaxing the cool pond water during summertime, there's no need for me to come up and breathe! Some of my cousins have webbed feet to help them swim, and those sticky toe- pads give me, Tilly the Tree-frog, a non- slip grip on branches and leaves!


Froggy Business:
Frogs can only see things that ARE moving, other than that, they won't be able to see a statue right in their face unless the statue moves!


This is a picture of me, Tilly
Save the environment with me!
Signed, Tilly Tree-frog.
P.S.Find me & my friends at the Southern Mexico, Central America, Honduras and Panama, and Northern South America.

Address: 
894 Greenery Street, 
Storey 15 Rain tree Estate
34th hole to the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment