Friday 22 July 2011

Animal Xploration- Issue 2

Panda Packed Knowledge

I have black rings round my eyes. I love bamboo. its very obvious now- I'm a PANDA! Pandas are ENDANGERED. Bamboo produces new canes (culms) in the Spring. These shoots emerge out of the ground and grow in height and diameter for around 60 days. During this 60 day period it will produce limbs and leaves. After the 60 day period of growth, this bamboo cane does not grow in height or diameter again. It will put on new foliage every year, and typically a cane last for 10 years. Guess how tall a bamboo can grow in just a single day? It can grow up to 1-50 METERS!


I am a bear, native to central- western and south western China. I also can be found in Hong Kong's Ocean Park! I am easily recognised by people by my humongous, really distinctive black patches round my eyes, over my ears and right across my tubby fat body. Although I am supposed to belong to the order Carnivora, my diet is 99% bamboo! Due to farming, deforestation and other development, we, the pandas has been driven out of the lowland areas where we once lived. We can be found in China, the Sichuan, Shaanxi and Gansu Provinces.

Some of my family members are moving to Singapore too! I don't know much chinese, but I know Singapore in chinese is 新加坡(xin jia po). They have been really fussy about the bamboo in Singapore, so I have not a single idea when their enclosure in the 'Singapore Zoo' is opening. 

NEW UPDATE: (5th Nov 2012)

My Panda cousins have arrived at Singapore!!! They're Jia Jia (the female) and Kai Kai (the male)! 

They're open to the public once the Giant Panda Preview (at the River Safari) opens, on 29 November 2012! 


Aww, you know we Pandas are just IRRESISTIBLE! 
So, well, if you haven't seen the extent of Kai Kai and Jia Jia's cuteness, here you go...

Oops, wrong, these are stuffed toys. Anyway...

Argh! Wrong again! It's cartoon! Yeah, so...

Well, this is Kai Kai...

This is Jia Jia. 
How to differentiate both of them? Kai Kai is an "onion- head", while Jia Jia isn't.

Well, we are all very fussy about what kind of bamboo we eat, so MY favourite bamboo is found in Sichuan, where I live. I am a wild panda. I do NOT want to live in zoos, like a few of my cousins are doing now. There's almost no freedom in the Zoo! I like having the whole entire area to myself, roaming around whenever I want to.
The first panda came to the United States in 1936 – a cub to a zoo in Chicago. It took another 50 years before the States would see another of the pandas. When I was a newborn panda cub, I was only 1/900th the size of my mother and was comparable to the length of a stick of butter! Who knew that a newborn panda cub would be that tiny!
The WWF logo was inspired by Chi-Chi, a giant panda brought to the London Zoo in 1961, when WWF was being created. The man who sketched the first logo, Sir Peter Scott, says, “We wanted an animal that is beautiful, is endangered and one loved by many people in the world for its appealing qualities. We also wanted an animal that had an impact in black and white to save money on printing costs.”
Approximately 99 percent of a us, pandas' diet – bamboo leaves and shoots – is void of much nutritional value. Our carnivore-adapted digestive system cannot digest cellulose well, thus it lives a low-energy, sedentary lifestyle but persists in eating some 60 species of bamboo. We must eat upwards of 30 pounds of bamboo daily just to stay full. Some people, well humans eat bamboo like us! Be sure to try a little bit of well, 'bamboo delicacies' when you have a little trip to Taiwan!

-Help Save the World's Wildlife
Your contribution will help to save the world's wildlife and wild places.

Sincerely, Penny Giant Panda

No comments:

Post a Comment